Okay, beta testers new and old, we're at the end of another month.
I recently added the end-of-month code that actually does something at the end of the month. At the stroke of midnight (NYC time) it counts votes, records a winner, cancels all votes donors had cast for it, makes voting for the cause impossible for the next 11 months, adds it to the Celebrate page of past winners, and emails everyone about the winner (unless you've opted-out in your notification preferences).
So let's test it, shall we?! Usual fake credit card: 4242 4242 4242 4242
Jessica and I have discovered a bit of an administrative obstacle to going live, accepting real donations: the requirement to register for solicitation of donations with nearly every state in This Great Nation of Ours, each with its own set of forms, fee, renewal cycle, etc. So what this means is we have one more month to do a full test of the new (not yet coded!) monthly cycle:
- At midnight, start of new month: name last month's winner, open up for new nominations, voting begins on full field of nominees
- At midnight end of week 1: end new nominations, email out digest of newly nominated causes, voting continues
- At midnight end of week 2: narrow down the field to top 10 causes, email donors the list and encourage re-vote
- At midnight end of week 3: narrow down to top 3 causes, email donors the list and encourage re-vote
- Name winner, lather, rinse, repeat!
This new cycle, led by your recent Facebook poll responses, is intended to make Charitocracy more fun and engaging by providing several "touch points" during the month: news updates on progress and motivation to get back on there and take action. A donor can continue to take a hands-off approach and let Charitocracy be their crowd-curated charity-of-the-month club. But I like having something to actually go on there and do more than once a month. I hope you agree?
So let's close July out with a new winner under the old "anything goes" approach, and meanwhile I'll code up the new world order and have it ready for August 1! Feedback appreciated, as always. (You'll find us slaving over the mimeograph machine in the back office, filling out our
TPS reports solicitation registration forms.)
One thought on “Timing Is Everything”
Great, informative, funny post! Keep me wanting more!!!