- Nominated Cause
- This is the official discussion thread for the cause Reach Out and Read. Its EIN is 04-3481253 and it's a public charity based in Boston, MA. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
Reach Out and Read give young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together.
The Opportunity of a Lifetime!
What happens during the first few years sets the stage for the rest of a child’s life, and a child’s experiences irreversibly affect how the brain develops – for better or worse.
The Achievement Gap Starts Early
A third of young children, and half of children living in poverty in the U.S., arrive at kindergarten without skills needed for success at school. Students who enter kindergarten with below grade level reading skills have a much higher chance of dropping out of school later in life.
Reach Out and Read gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together. Its program is evidence-based, supported by independent, published research studies showing the children they serve:
- are read to more often by their parents,
- have improved language skills,
- have a greater love of reading.
Reach Out and Read mitigates the effects of income equality on a child’s educational development.
- This topic was modified 9 months ago by Benj.