At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

Planned Parenthood logo
Planned Parenthood

Tagged: , ,

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

Bethany
    68 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause Planned Parenthood. Its EIN is 13-1644147 and it's a public charity based in New York, NY. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Planned Parenthood logo
    We deliver vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of people worldwide.

Today (4 May 2017), by a narrow vote of 217 to 213, Paul Ryan and his out-of-touch allies forced through their bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act and “defund” Planned Parenthood health centers. The Senate vote is next. Now more than ever, Planned Parenthood needs our support.  I relied on this organization when I was in my 20s and had no healthcare – millions of young people and adults do, especially women, and oftentimes this is the only affordable option for those with sexual health needs.  Planned Parenthood is a safe place and a vital healthcare resource for teenagers and young adults in America; our children.  Together we can help ensure the stability of this important public charity, during these times when the future of healthcare in the US hangs in the balance.

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about Planned Parenthood!
  • Commenter
    Comments

Bethany

What ‘Defunding’ Planned Parenthood really means:

jzp-charit...

Given the only November 2020 nomination is for an anti-abortion “crisis pregnancy center” promoted by the right wing, I wanted to ensure that actual health care was promoted so I put all my votes behind PP and upped my contribution.

Nancy P

From the AMA journal of ethics

Crisis pregnancy centers are organizations that seek to intercept women with unintended pregnancies who might be considering abortion. Their mission is to prevent abortions by persuading women that adoption or parenting is a better option. They strive to give the impression that they are clinical centers, offering legitimate medical services and advice, yet they are exempt from regulatory, licensure, and credentialing oversight that apply to health care facilities. Because the religious ideology of these centers’ owners and employees takes priority over the health and well-being of the women seeking care at these centers, women do not receive comprehensive, accurate, evidence-based clinical information about all available options. Although crisis pregnancy centers enjoy First Amendment rights protections, their propagation of misinformation should be regarded as an ethical violation that undermines women’s health.
    <h3>What Are Crisis Pregnancy Centers?</h3>
    Drive down any highway in America, and you might see a sign: “Pregnant? Scared? Call 1-800-555-5555.” Most often, these signs are advertisements for crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs). CPCs, sometimes known as “pregnancy resource centers,” “pregnancy care centers,” “pregnancy support centers,” or simply “pregnancy centers,” are organizations that seek to intercept women with unintended or “crisis” pregnancies who might be considering abortion. Their mission is typically to prevent abortions by persuading women that adoption or parenting is a better option [1, 2]. One of the first CPCs opened in 1967 in Hawaii [3].

Most CPCs are religiously affiliated [4], and a majority are affiliated with a network or umbrella organization such as Birthright International, Care Net, Heartbeat International, or the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates [1, 3]. These umbrella organizations offer legal support, ultrasound training, and other services to CPCs. With an estimated 1,969 network-affiliated CPCs in the US in 2010 [1], CPCs outnumber abortion clinics, which were estimated at 327 as of 2011 [5]. Many state governments fund CPCs through mechanisms such as “Choose Life” specialty license plates and grants, and many also receive federal funding [3, 6].

In this article, we will argue that both the lack of patient-centered care and deceptive practices make CPCs unethical. We will first highlight the discrepancy between the lack of standards for quality of care provided by CPCs and the innumerable restrictions on abortion clinics. We then show that CPCs violate principles of medical ethics, despite purpor

Stephanie

Think it is time to get this one back to the top!  Definitely needs to win the pot again!

John Towler

With the shenanigans in Texas (and other states) that have put women’s reproductive rights under attack, Planned Parenthood needs support more than ever. Please support this cause.

Live long and prosper.

jzp-charit...

Any current voters should get behind the #2 cause (A mother’s rest) lest the current leading anti-choice cause stay on top. Deadline is midnight!

One thought on “Planned Parenthood”

1. Pingback: Spotlight on Planned Parenthood - Charitocracy