At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention logo
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

Tagged: 

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

Stephanie
    34 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Its EIN is 13-3393329 and it's a public charity based in New York, NY. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention logo
    We raise awareness, fund scientific research, and provide resources and aid to those affected by suicide.

Unfortunately this cause is near and dear to my heart.  On August 16th my Brother-in-law killed himself.  No one had any idea that he was suffering and struggling so much.  Our family will be walking in the Out of the Darkness Walk in Boston on October 27th to promote suicide visibility and prevention.

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about American Foundation for Suicide Prevention!
    • This topic was modified 5 years ago by  Stephanie.
  • Commenter
    Comments

Stephanie

September is National Suicide Prevention Month.

Auntpatti

I do not normally post in this comment section.

This month I felt I needed to say something about suicide and how it touches ALL of our lives. Take a moment and think about your family and friends. I’m sure that you have someone in your life that has considered suicide or tragically committed suicide. This is a great cause for your money to go toward this month(Every month) You can make a difference in someone’s life and for their family and friends. Consider your vote for “LIFE” this month.

Stephanie

The Out of The Darkness walk in Boston is October 27th.  It would be amazing to win this month and have this donated on behalf of the Lost Satellite Team honoring my BIL, Robert Todd.

RoamX

This organization has existed since 1987. Is there any evidence that it has actually reduced the incidence of suicide?

Benj

On their GuideStar profile under “accomplishments so far” I see this:

Since its founding in 1987, AFSP has:

• Mobilized & connected tens of thousands of people who have lost a family member, loved one, or friend to suicide
    • Reached thousands of individuals who are at risk for suicide, as well as those who love and care for them
    • Attracted the participation of members of the scientific and clinical communities, who conduct groundbreaking research on suicide and its prevention with support from AFSP
    • Established local chapters in all 50 states
    • Educated hundreds of local communities about suicide and how to prevent it
    • Created a public policy and lobbying arm by merging successfully with an existing national policy organization, thus enabling AFSP to press for legislation and policies at the federal, state and local levels that advance the goal of preventing suicide
    • Substantially increased our funding from individual donors, including the thousands of highly motivated individuals who participate in our Out of the Darkness Walks

As for the question of how they know if they’re making progress:

In addition to our continued efforts above, AFSP has launched Project 2025, an unprecedented initiative which began with an in-depth analysis of who we are losing to suicide, where we are losing them, and how we are losing them. Drawing on input from a national advisory panel of the leading experts in suicide prevention, AFSP identified four critical areas our country needs to invest in to have the greatest impact on reducing loss of life from suicide: firearms and suicide prevention, emergency departments, large health care systems, and justice settings. If we work collectively to expand programs and interventions in these four critical areas, we can cumulatively expect to save more than 20,000 lives through 2025.

I’ll keep an eye out for statistics about lives saved over past 30 years, but I don’t know how they’d measure that with confidence.  There are so many factors!

One thought on “American Foundation for Suicide Prevention”

1. Pingback: Spotlight on AFSP - Nominated by donor Stephanie - Charitocracy Blog