At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

Innocence Project logo
Innocence Project

Tagged: 

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

cperg814
    35 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause Innocence Project. Its EIN is 32-0077563 and it's a public charity based in New York, NY. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Innocence Project logo
    We exonerate the wrongly convicted through DNA testing and reform the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice.

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about Innocence Project!
  • Commenter
    Comments

cperg814

Please take a look at this video for more information on the Innocence Project:

I’d also like for you to read this Baltimore Sun article written about my stepdad, Chris Conover, after his death.

And there’s one more person that I’d like to introduce you to and that’s, my friend, Kirk Bloodsworth. He is the first person exonerated, off Death Row, based on DNA evidence. You can read his story here and check out his documentary, Bloodsworth: An Innocent Man, on iTunes or Amazon Prime video.

I’m not great at storytelling, so I’m hoping the links above did the trick, but the team at the Innocence Project are some of the most passionate, hard-working people and are very near and dear to my heart so they had to be my first nomination.

Innocent until proven guilty is a great concept and what we should strive for, but for those that are classified as guilty before even being asked about their innocence, that’s the real fight. The Innocence Project has freed over 350 innocent people from not only jail but death row as well. My stepdad spent 18 years in jail for two murders that he did not commit and though, thanks to the Innocence Project, he did not die in jail, it was that 18 years that killed him.

Today, October 2nd, is International Wrongful Conviction Day so what better time to vote for this great cause. Not everyone in jail should be, but there aren’t many that will hear their voices. Let’s help support the Innocence Project for being there for those that not many of us would.

Last thing…one other way to support and appreciate all that the Innocence Project does is by supporting ‘rings for survivors of wrongful convictions‘. These are rings, made by Kirk, that are sent out to all exonerees.

Thank you!