At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

National Public Radio logo
National Public Radio

Tagged: ,

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

Maurice
    32 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause National Public Radio. Its EIN is 52-0907625 and it's a public charity based in Washington, DC. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

National Public Radio logo
    Nonprofit, independent news media organization that was founded on a mission to create a more informed public.

I think most people here have heard of NPR.  If you listen to one of their radio stations during your commute to work like I do you hear your local station doing a fund drive a few times per year.  I know Charitocracy members are located around the world so instead of focusing on a single station this donation goes to the the NPR organization, which acts as a hub between all the member stations and helps provide content to your local station.

I thought a fun thing to do on this Charitocracy thread would be to have people post about their favorite programs on NPR.  You might listen to some of their content as podcasts so anything from NPR is fair game for discussion.  Here is a list of NPR’s podcasts if you want a reminder (or you can start listening right now).

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about National Public Radio!
  • Commenter
    Comments

Maurice

One of my favorite podcasts on NPR is Planet Money.  This is a weekly radio show where they focus on one topic in depth.  While many of their shows talk about some economic related topic, other shows just focus on something not related to economics.  On the non-economics related shows they view the topics from a an economists point of view often bringing in experts to help explain things (sometimes nobel prize winners).  Viewing it like an economist really just means trying to understand things in a logical way.  Often this is from a statically valid point of view, but while listening to this show I’ve learned that isn’t the only way economists view things anymore.  There is also this whole field of behavioral economics which factors in human behaviors.  This makes everything more complex and interesting.

An interesting episode I remember was about santa suits. They used that as a springboard into tariffs and how complex the current world wide tariff system is.  They focused on one guy who many years ago fought in court to classify fancy santa suits as “festive articles” because there are lower tariffs on “festive articles” than clothing.  At the time he was making fancy santa suits in the USA and wanted that protection.  Fast forward a few years and he was now importing his fancy santa suits and in court he argued the exact opposite position that now these same fancy santa suits should be classified as “festive articles” so he could pay less on his imported suits.  Along the way I learned a lot about our tariff system and how messed up it is.

Benj

My favorite NPR show has to be Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me.  It’s a great way to catch up on the week’s news, and laugh at it instead of cry.  Very clever writing delivered by host Peter Sagal, guest “contestants,” and regular panelists.  But I miss Carl Kasell as the announcer!  <3

jmw615

Oh, NPR! I love too many shows to name, but right now I’m getting my Spanish on by listening to Radio Ambulante with Daniel Alarcon. The same amazing NPR standards apply there too. If I’ve got any other hispanohablantes on here, I highly recommend it. I’ll be voting here in March!

Julie Miller

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  jmw615.