At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

First Candle logo
First Candle

Tagged: ,

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

Jbarefoot
    12 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause First Candle. Its EIN is 52-1591162 and it's a public charity based in New Canaan, CT. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

First Candle logo
    We support grieving families and work to prevent SIDS and other sleep-related infant deaths by educating caregivers and supporting research.

This charity is dear to my heart because they helped me through losing my daughter to SIDS.  When my perfectly healthy 1 month old daughter, Elizabeth Redd Lenhart, passed away, I did not know where to turn for help or answers.  A quick internet search led me to find their phone number and the immediate grief support that they offered was extremely helpful to me and my husband.  First Candle works to promote safe sleep for babies and fund SIDS research.  By supporting this charity, we are helping more babies survive and families to cope with the devastating loss of their babies.

https://firstcandle.org/

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about First Candle!
  • Commenter
    Comments

Jbarefoot

Please consider donating to this cause in memory of my daughter, who would have turned 12 years old this year on Aug 19. She is forever remembered in our hearts. It has been our mission to keep her memory alive through promoting SIDS awareness through First Candle. We held an event in her honor for five years after her death and raised about $75,000 for First Candle. We have been teaching in China for the past 4 years and are unable to hold the same event. This is a platform that would help us to continue our mission. Please consider voting for First Candle.  Elizabeth Redd Lenhart 08-19-08 / 09-21-08

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Jbarefoot.

Jbarefoot

Please consider donating to this cause in memory of my daughter, who would have turned 13 years old this year on Aug 19. She is forever remembered in our hearts. It has been our mission to keep her memory alive through promoting SIDS awareness through First Candle. Please consider voting for First Candle. Elizabeth Redd Lenhart 08-19-08 / 09-21-08

+2

Jbarefoot

I nominated First Candle on Charitocracy years ago but it has never been voted to receive the monthly donation. Since this is the last August to have a chance, PLEASE consider voting in memory of my daughter Elizabeth, who would have turned 15 on August 19, 2023. We lost her to SIDS on September 21, 2008 and First Candle was an integral part of our healing. They work to promote infant survival through safe-sleep education and research as well as support to families facing loss due to SIDS.