- Nominated Cause
- This is the official discussion thread for the cause Girls on the Run. Its EIN is 56-2201835 and it's a central misc. 170(c) organization based in Charlotte, NC. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
Girls on the Run believe that every girl can embrace who she is, can define who she wants to be, can rise to any challenge, can change the world. Can.
We believe that every girl
can embrace who she is,
can define who she wants to be,
can rise to any challenge,
can change the world.
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
We envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Empowerment, Responsibility, Intentionality, Diversity, Connectedness, Joy, Optimism, Gratitude, Nurturing, Healthy, Open-hearted, Compassion
Our Core Values
Girls on the Run honors its core values. We strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
3rd – 5th Grade Program
Over a period of 10 weeks, girls in the 3rd through 5th grade participate in an after-school program like no other. Designed to allow every girl to recognize her inner strength, the Girls on the Run curriculum inspires girls to define their lives on their own terms. Throughout the season, the girls make new friends, build their confidence and celebrate all that makes them unique.
The Girls on the Run lessons encourage positive emotional, social, mental and physical development. Participants explore and discuss their own beliefs around experiences and challenges girls face at this age. They also develop important strategies and skills to help them navigate life experiences. We start with helping the girls get a better understanding of who they are and what’s important to them. Then, we look at the importance of team work and healthy relationships. And, finally, the girls explore how they can positively connect with and shape the world.
Physical activity is woven into our program to inspire an appreciation of fitness and to build habits that lead to a lifetime of health. At the end of each three month session, the girls participate in a Girls on the Run 5k event. This celebratory, non-competitive event is the culminating experience of the curriculum. Completing the 5k gives the girls a tangible understanding of the confidence that comes through accomplishment as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. Crossing the finish line is a defining moment when the girls realize that even the seemingly impossible IS possible.