At Charitocracy, we pool our donations each month and vote on the charity to get it. Check out the donor-nominated charities below.

Massachusetts Bail Fund logo
Massachusetts Bail Fund

Tagged: 

• Nominator
    Nominated Cause

jzp-charit...
    19 people like it.
    Please wait...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    Processing your vote...
    Voting is currently disabled.
    This is the official discussion thread for the cause Massachusetts Bail Fund. Its EIN is 82-4924766 and it's a public charity based in Boston, MA. Research more info about the cause on GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Massachusetts Bail Fund logo
    We pay bail so low-income people can stay free while they resolve their cases, keeping families and communities stable.

“There can be no equal justice where the kind of trial a man gets depends on the amount of money he has.”
    -U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, 1964

The Massachusetts Bail Fund pays bail in Massachusetts so that low-income people can stay free while they work towards resolving their case, allowing individuals, families, and communities to stay productive, together, and stable. The Massachusetts Bail Fund is committed to the harm reduction of freeing individuals serving pre-trial sentences, and to abolishing pre-trial detention and supervision in the long-term.

Massachusetts jails are filled with people awaiting trial simply because they cannot afford bail. Bail leads to longer incarcerations times, lost jobs, lost housing, lost custody of children and devastated families. The Massachusetts Bail Fund provides bail for people who cannot afford to pay.

The Massachusetts Bail Fund posts bail  up to $500 so that low-income people aren’t stuck in jail awaiting trial.  From 2013 to 2020, the Massachusetts Bail Fund posted 3,757 bails at a cost of $3,390,489 throughout Massachusetts. Of closed cases, 44% were dismissed entirely. In 2020 alone, 43% of cases were dismissed at trial and 93% of bail money returned to the fund. 

I’ve been a recurring monthly supporter of the Bail Fund since a colleague at work ran a fundraiser years ago.  When reviewing my annual gift match I realized I could do more, getting the word out nd nominating them here.

https://www.massbailfund.org/

Also read Charitocracy's blog post about Massachusetts Bail Fund!
  • Commenter
    Comments

jzp-charit...

While I agree it is a worthy cause as the nominator & I support it monthly, it will not get this month’s pot.  so I ask anyone still voting here to rally behind “A Mother’s Rest” such that the current #1 gets bumped.